Camp Kannawin is committed to safeguarding the personal information entrusted to us by our campers, parents, rental groups, supporters, volunteers and employees. This privacy statement outlines the practices we follow in protecting personal information.
This privacy statement applies to Camp Kannawin and to any person providing services on our behalf. A copy of this privacy statement is provided on request.
Leading with Care
For more information about the Presbyterian Church in Canada’s Leading with Care policies Click Here.
What is personal information
Personal information means information about an identifiable individual. This includes an individual’s name, home address and phone number, age, sex, marital or family status, an identifying number such as Provincial Health Care Number, financial information, educational history, etc.
What personal information do we collect?
We collect only the personal information that we need for the purposes of providing services to our clients (campers, parents and rental groups), including personal information needed:
- to provide your family members with quality care while they are at Camp Kannawin
- to keep in touch with our clients regarding upcoming events and programs
- to carry out quality assurance to make us better
- for satisfaction surveys to see how we are doing
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements
- for fundraising for equipment and facilities to provide you with the most safe and developmentally appropriate services
- for research to make Presbyterian Church camping the best we can and to help develop new programs and facilities for the future
We normally collect client information directly from our clients. We may collect your information from other persons with your consent or as authorized by law.
We inform our clients, before or at the time of collecting personal information, of the purposes for which we are collecting the information. The only time we don’t provide this notification is when a client volunteers information for an obvious purpose (for example, providing a credit card number to pay a registration fee when the information will be used only to process the payment).
We ask for consent to collect, use or disclose client personal information, except in specific circumstances where collection, use or disclosure without consent is authorized or required by law. We may assume your consent in cases where you volunteer information for an obvious purpose.
We assume your consent to continue to use and, where applicable, disclose personal information that we have already collected, for the purpose for which the information was collected.
We may collect, use or disclose client personal information without consent only as authorized by law. For example, we may not request consent when the collection, use or disclosure is to determine suitability for an honour or award, or in an emergency that threatens life, health or safety.
What is personal employee information?
Personal employee information is personal information about an employee or volunteer which is collected, used or disclosed solely for the purposes of establishing, managing or terminating an employment relationship or a volunteer work relationship. Personal employee information may, in some circumstances, include a Social Insurance Number, a performance review, etc.
We can collect, use and disclose your personal employee information without your consent only for the purposes of establishing, managing or ending the employment or volunteer relationship.
What personal employee information do we collect, use and disclose?
We collect, use and disclose personal employee information to meet the following purposes:
- Determining eligibility for employment or volunteer work, including verifying qualifications and references
- Establishing training and development requirements
- Assessing performance and managing performance issues if they arise
- Administering pay and benefits (paid employees only and if applicable)
- Processing employee work‐related claims (e.g. benefits, workers’ compensation, insurance claims) (paid employees only – if applicable)
- Complying with requirements of funding bodies (e.g. government grants)
- Complying with applicable laws (e.g. Canada Income Tax Act, Alberta Employment Standards Code)
We only collect, use and disclose the amount and type of personal employee information that is reasonable to meet the above purposes. The following is a list of personal employee information that we may collect, use and disclose to meet those purposes.
- Contact information such as your name, home address, telephone number
- Criminal background and vulnerable sector checks
- Employment or volunteer information such as your resume (including educational background, work history and references), reference information and interview notes, letters of offer and acceptance of employment, policy acknowledgement forms, background verification information, workplace performance evaluations, emergency contacts, etc.
- Benefit information such as forms relating to applications or changes to health and insurance benefits including medical and dental care, life insurance, short and long term disability, etc. (paid employees only – if applicable)
- Financial information, such as pay cheque deposit information and tax‐related information, including Social Insurance Numbers (paid employees only)
- Other personal information required for the purposes of our employment or volunteer relationship
We will inform our employees and volunteers of any new purpose for which we will collect, use, or disclose personal employee information, or we will obtain your consent, before or at the time the information is collected.
What information do we provide for employment/volunteer references?
In some cases, after your employment or volunteer relationship with us ends, we will be contacted by other organizations and asked to provide a reference for you. It is our policy not to disclose personal information about our employees and volunteers to other organizations who request references without consent. The personal information we normally provide in a reference includes:
- Confirmation that an individual was an employee or volunteer, including the position, and date range of the employment or volunteering
- General information about an individual’s job duties and information about the employee or volunteer’s ability to perform job duties and success in the employment or volunteer relationship
How do we safeguard personal information?
We make every reasonable effort to ensure that personal information is accurate and complete. We rely on individuals to notify us if there is a change to their personal information that may affect their relationship with our organization. If you are aware of an error in our information about you, please let us know and we will correct it on request wherever possible. In some cases we may ask for a written request for correction.
We protect personal information in a manner appropriate for the sensitivity of the information. We make every reasonable effort to prevent any loss, misuse, disclosure or modification of personal information, as well as any unauthorized access to personal information.
We use appropriate security measures when destroying personal information, including shredding paper records and permanently deleting electronic records
Questions or complaints
If you have a question or concern about any collection, use or disclosure of personal information by Camp Kannawin, or about a request for access to your own personal information, please contact: